Assam’s Red rice (Bao-dhaan) export to U.S. :
Assam’s Bao-dhaan is being exported to America now. The first consignment of ‘red rice’ (Bao-dhaan) weighing 20 metric tonne was flagged off to USA on Thursday. Note that Iron-rich ‘red rice’ is grown in the Brahmaputra Valley of Assam without the use of any chemical fertilizer.
Golden Globes Awards 2021 :
The 78th edition of Golden Globe Awards ceremony recently took place in a virtual as well as in offline format in Los Angeles and New York City.
- Best Film ( Drama ) : Nomadland
- Best Film ( Musical/Comedy ) : Borat Subsequent Movie film
- Best Director : Chloe Zhao ( Film – Nomadland )
- Best Actress (Drama) : Andra Day ( Film- The United States vs. Billie Holiday )
- Best Actor ( Drama ) : Chadwick Boseman (Film- Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
- Best Actress ( Musical/Comedy ) : Rosamund Pike ( Film- I Care A Lot )
- Best Actor ( Musical/Comedy ) : Sacha Baron Cohen ( Film- Borat Subsequent Movie film)
Hima Das appointed as DSP in Assam Police :
Sprinter Hima Das has officially been inducted into Assam Police and will be posted in Guwahati. Nicknamed ‘Dhing Express’, She became the first Indian woman — indeed the first ever Indian athlete to win a gold medal in any format of a global track event at IAAF World U20 Championships when she clocked a speed of 51.46 seconds. She was also conferred with Arjuna Award by the President of India on September 25, 2018.
'Maitri Setu' Bridge :
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated ‘Maitri Setu’ bridge between India and Bangladesh through a video conference to strengthen the connectivity between both the countries, and especially with the north-eastern region of India.
The Maitri Setu bridge has been built on the Feni river, which lies between Indian boundary in Tripura and Bangladesh. The 1.9 Kilometres long bridge will connect Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
The bridge has been constructed by the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited at a project cost of around Rs. 133 Crore.
New passenger train between India and Bangladesh :
A new passenger train named Mitali Express connecting Dhaka and New Jalpaiguri was inaugurated jointly by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina via a video conference. Note that this is the third passenger train after Maitree Express (Dhaka-Kolkata) and Bandhan Express (Khulna-Kolkata) running between the two neighbouring countries.
Most polluted city of India :
New Delhi has been adjudged as the world’s most polluted capital city for the third straight year in the 2020 World Air Quality Report by Swiss organisation, IQAir.
Globally, New Delhi is ranked as the 10th most polluted city in the world.
The top most polluted city of the world is Xinjiang in China.
67th National Film Award, 2019 :
The National Film Award is the most prominent film award ceremony in India, organised by the Directorate of Film Festivals, which comes under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. The Awards were first presented in 1954. The Awards are categorised in three sections; Feature Films, Non-Feature Films and Best Writing on Cinema. In addition, a lifetime achievement award, named after the father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke, is awarded to a film personality for the outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema The winner of 67th National Film Awards was announced on 22 March 2021 in New Delhi to honour best of Indian cinema in 2019 . Note that the awards are for films from the year 2019. The ceremony could not take place last year due to COVID 19 pandemic which took place this year.
- Dada Saheb Phalke Award :- Rajnikant.
- Best Feature Film:- Marakkar: Lion of the Arabian Sea (Malayalam)
- Best Actor (shared):- Manoj Bajpayee for Bhonsle (Hindi), and
Dhanush for Asuran (Tamil)
- Best Actress:- Kangana Ranaut for Panga (Hindi) and Manikarnika:
The Queen of Jhansi (Hindi)
- Best featured film in Assamese language :- Ronuwa – Who Never Surrender
- Special Mentions in Feature Film category :- Jonaki Porua (Assamese)
Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2019 :
South superstar Rajinikanth has been honoured with the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke award for 2019. The Dadasaheb Phalke Awards is India’s highest award in cinema and is presented annually at the National Films Awards ceremony, organised by the Directorate of Film Festivals, which comes under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of Gov of India. Dadasaheb Phalke is known as the ‘Father of Indian Cinema’. He made India’s first full-length feature film Raja Harishchandra in 1913. Hence, to commemorate Dadasaheb Phalke, the Government of India has started the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1969. The first recipient of the award was actress Devika Rani and the only recipient from Assam is Dr. Bhupen Hazarika.
66th Filmfare Awards Filmfare Awards :
The 66th Filmfare Awards ceremony, presented by The Times Group, honored the best Indian Hindi-language films of 2020. The Filmfare awards were first introduced in 1954. The Clares was the original name of the award ceremony. The 65th Filmfare Awards event was held on the 16th of February 2020 at Sarusajai Stadium, Guwahati.
- Best Film: Thappad
- Best Film (Critics): Prateek Vats (Eeb Allay Ooo!)
- Best Director: Om Raut (Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior)
- Best Actor in a Lead Role (MALE): Irrfan Khan (Angrezi Medium)
- Best Actor (Critics): Amitabh Bachchan (Gulabo Sitabo)
- Best Actor in a Lead Role (Female): Taapsee Pannu (Thappad)
- Best Actress (Critics): Tillotama Shome (SIR)
- Best Story: Anubhav Sushila Sinha and Mrunamayee Lagoo Waikul (Thappad)
- Best Screenplay: Rohena Gera (SIR)
- Best Dialogue: Juhi Chaturvedi (Gulabo Sitabo)
- Best Debut Director: Rajesh Krishnan (Lootcase)
- Best Debut Female: Alaya F (Jawaani Jaaneman)
- Best Music Album: Pritam (Ludo)
- Best Lyrics: Gulzar (Chhappak)
- Best Playback Singer (male): Raghav Chaitanya – Ek Tukda Dhoop (Thappad)
- Best Playback Singer (Female): Asees Kaur (Malang)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Irrfan Khan.
Saraswati Samman 2020 :
Noted Marathi writer Dr Sharankumar Limbale will receive Saraswati Samman, 2020 for his book Sanatan. The Saraswati Samman is an annual award for outstanding prose or poetry literary works in any of the 22 languages of India listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India. The Saraswati Samman was instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation. Lakshmi Nandan Bora is the only writer from Assam to receive the prestigious Saraswati Samman for his novel Kayakalpa.
World Water Day 2021 :
World Water Day is observed annually across the globe on March 22 to raise awareness about the water crisis. The theme for World Water Day 2021 is “valuing water” and highlights the importance of conserving water and its value . Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan: Catch the Rain’ campaign on March 22, 2021, on the occasion of World Water Day for conserving water.