Everyone has a job interview at some point in their life and it can be a scary thing for some. However, they are really nothing to worry about. A job interview is an simply a formal conversation between a job applicant and a representative of an employer which is conducted to assess whether the applicant should be hired or not. If you can convince the employer by your skills and attitude, you could end up with a great job. If you can’t then you’ll have to live with unemployment or a role you hate for a bit longer.
In this article, we have complied the MANTRAS to stand the best chance of getting a job in any type of Job interview. Just follow these 5 steps formula –
1. What type of interview is it?
There are 4 main types of interview that the recruiters use the most.
- One-to-one interview : A one-to-one interview is generally seen in smaller companies where you are more likely to be directly questioned by the boss or any authorised representative of the company. The main advantage of this type of interview is you only have to impress one person. To impress your future boos , read our article on 7 Advices That You Must Listen Before going to an job Interview. You can also practice some mostly asked interview questions and answers and try to build up a friendly relationship with your interviewer, while keeping it professional.
- Panel interview : Panel interview is the popular form of job interview in larger companies or any Government recruiting agencies (UPSC, APSC etc) and involve a group of interviewers ask you their questions. To impress your future read our article on Advices That You Must Listen Before going to an panel job Interview. Also Make sure you’ve practised our interview questions and answers for guaranteed success and try to build up a friendly relationship with your interviewer, while keeping it professional.
- Telephonic Interview : Now-a-days telephonic interview is used by many employers as a quick and cost-effective way to whittle down candidates in the first or scanning round. You can see the most commonly asked questions for a telephonic interview from here.
- Video interview : These are growing in popularity amid the Covid-19 outbreak and with the growth of zoom and skype. There are a lot of things to think about in a video interview that you can read from Top 6 Important Tips For an Online Interview.You can also practice the frequently asked interview questions in any video/online interview.
Must Read : The 13 Biggest Job Interview MISTAKES and How to Avoid Them
2. What should you wear ?
It may sound silly but you must plan your interview outfit. You don’t necessarily have to wear a suit, depending on what job you’re going for, but you should follow a few simple dress code rules which you can get from here what to wear to an interview.
3. Practicing interview questions
Before you set foot in your interview, you should prepare by testing yourself with interview questions that are commonly asked in the company’s industry or, better yet, commonly asked in the company’s interviews.
- One to One interview : Read the mostly asked interview questions and answers for one to one interview.
- Panel interview : Read the interview questions and answers for guaranteed success in a panel interview.
- Telephonic Interview : Read the mostly asked interview questions and answers in the telephonic interview.
- Video interview : Read the mostly asked interview questions and answers in a online / skype/zoom interview.
4. Your Body language
It may sound weird but Body language during interview plays a very important role in making or breaking your career. The expression “actions speak louder than words” holds very true, especially during job interviews. The way you present yourself leaves a significant impact on your interviewer. You may not know but your everything – right from your outfit to your hairstyle, accessories, sitting posture, Hand gestures, smile and all other things you might be carrying – are judged!